Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stevet04II
Do you guys and gals experience harrassment alot from motorist? Two guys in a car this morning threw a beer bottle at me and I didnt say a word to them. They stopped a short way up the road and said "What did you say? " They were Cussing alot. I didnt say a word. They were out looking for trouble. But I held back and said nothing. Good thing they didnt come after me. Things could have gotten ugly.
First of all I have never had this happen. However I have had some situtations with people in cars that made me nervous. In my opinion you have to first assess the sitation. You were one man on a bike. They were 2 drunks in a car. Unless you are packing heat, you are in trouble if there is any altracation. So you need to start thinking defensively. How do I get away from this?

First of all I would look for a place to go where there vehicle couldn't. A bike is much narrower than a car and sometimes there is a place for you to lose them. Also the first thing I would do is grab the cellphone. This changes the balance back into your favor a bit. Without it, they have all of the power. Now if they think you have called the authorities they have to start thinking about there own well being instead of just indangering yours. So I have never ridden 1 mile without my cellphone on my hip.

My theory is that, "maybe you are going to take me out but I'm taking you with me." Also I would expect that the majority of people like this already have some sort of problem with the law, be it warrants etc. The last thing they want to end their Saturday night drinking spree is to be locked up. The chance that will happen jumps greatly to them when you have the phone to your ear.

Lastly, we all hate to pay taxes but one of the big things we pay for is law enforcement. Get your money's worth and call the cops. I realize that not everyone has a cellphone but to me it would be one of the last things I would be without in biking.