Old 03-30-04, 09:55 PM
dgaddes

Bikes: Trek '01 2200 (sold), '04 5 500 (sold), 2013 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afryska
I bought my first bike last year, a Trek 1000... it's served me well, but now that I've gotten more into the sport and started racing, I'm looking to upgrade; I've already acquired a nice Tifosi frame and Shimano wheelset second-hand, now I need the parts. A friend is offering me an older ('97/'98) used 8-speed 105 group that appears to be in very good shape, well maintained and all that. My question is how this group compares to todays 8-Speed Sora (which is on my Trek), as well as today's 105. My main reasons for upgrading are for cleaner and more reliable shifting, shifting in the drops, and durability. I'm worried that in 6 years, even the lowest level components (like the Sora on my Trek) have improved beyond the old 105 componets I'm being offered. At the same time, I'm a poor starving college student, I don't have the $2000 for a new racer. Will this old group hold up?

Also, is there a difference beteen S.T.I. and S.I.S.?

Thanks for your help!
I don't know if this is kosher or not to say this here, but I'm upgrading my bike from 2 year old 105 gear to ultegra/dura ace combo. I was going to put the 105 stuff on ebay. If you're interested let me know. 105, triple, sti shifters, everything including brake calipers and chain. Keeping my cables and BB. It's only got about ~1300 miles on it and well take care of (very clean, regularly lubed). I'm not a mechanic though and am not trying to overstate the condition. All I know is that everything works flawlessly. I doubt anyone would be dissappointed in the slightest. Hope I'm not breaking the rules by mentioning this.