Old 05-03-07, 12:46 PM
sac02
i ride a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does a wheelsucker increase your speed?

I don't know why this popped into my head. Probably because I'm procrastinating studying for finals. Anyways...

We all know the advantages of drafting behind someone, but does having someone drafting behind you also increase your speed (or decrease your effort, however you want to look at it)?

In auto racing applications it definitely does: the tubulent low pressure area behind the rear bumper of the car produces a drag force - two cars drafting closely can move faster than one because the first car blocks wind for the second and the second car removes the drag force from the rear of the first; each does something to benefit the other (though obviously the benefit to the rear car is greater).

Is this effect noticed in cycling? In theory, a rider should be able to hold a slightly faster pace with someone drafting him, does this play out in reality?

Note that I'm not referring to the higher average speed that a pair of riders could attain by taking turns pulling, only the increase in speed from the second rider "helping" the first.

Mac