Thread: Clyde Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-08-07, 02:29 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Alasdair
I'm a 6' 250# clyde with about 1.5 years of riding (1800 miles in my first year). I have greatly increased my cardiovascular health (no more HBP meds for me!) but I have only lost about 10 pounds. I haven't changed my diet much.

From some recent reading, I have learned that I usually ride anaerobically, huffing my way along at a fairly good pace (I like speed). So, on to my questions: On diet, is it more caloric intake or should there be some magic protien/carb/fat ratio? And, how can I judge when I'm riding aerobically for maximum fat burning and for what distance/time should I ride aerobically each day?
OK, lets address the issues one at a time:

Aerobic vs Anaerobic exercise: Aerobic = greater fat burning capability, save anaerobic for race training and race day. Target Heart rate zone for aerobic is 60-70% MaxHR. This is a variable that is affected my age. The basic formula is 200-your age*0.65=aerobic exercise level

Caloric intake: about 500 below your average needs

Protein: Under hard exercise, you will need 1.5 grams protein per Kg of body mass, on a descending scale as you lose weight to a MINIMUM of 65 grams protein/day. That is a minimum and you will likely want more, the minimum will just keep your hair from falling out and your nails getting brittle and your belly from swelling from protein deficiency.

Prot/Carb/Fat ratio:40%/20%/40% and adjust as necessary if you start feeling sick or start bonking hard on a ride. In a bonk, supplement with glucose or Maltodextrin or a combo. Hydrate heavily, as you can damage your kidneys from this protein level from Uric acid content and fractional protein residues in the urine. You will pee the color of Bock beer if you don't hydrate enough. You want a minimum of 64 oz for normal daily activities and more as your activities go up. Milk is a great hydrater and you can supplement your protein intake with a blend of 1% milk augmented with dry powdered milk (1 cup powdered milk/gallon of 1% and 2 scoops of whey protein/glass added and blended. Don't drink it before exercise though and do drink it within a 2 hour window after exercise.

Multivitamin: Absolutely necessary. A children's chewable at adult dosage is the most metabolizable and will help with those "Sweets" cravings!

If you aren't whupped at the end of your ride, then you didn't push to the limit, but that's also OK, as you want to keep it fun. You know it'll be time to up the speed and distance when it gets easy and you have trouble getting the HR up to aerobic levels.

Now, this isn't specific medical advice, I'm not a doctor. It's the result of my experience with MY body. I would also suggest you consult with your doctor for a specific regimen.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant