View Single Post
Old 05-09-07, 07:12 AM
chele519

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was the tech guy from Speedplay who said they really needed to be installed correctly with the torque wrench. I can install them on the shoe, I just wanted to make sure they were tightened properly. The way they were done at the first store was so that the cantilever was recessed past the cleat a little so that may have been too tight. These were not the Frog II cleats, they are the G3 but with an old style cantilever which speedplay said had been redesigned because of problems. Maybe my problem with unclipping was something else but I'd rather have the updated versions since they admit there was a problem. Performance bike shows a picture of the new cantilever/cleat on the replacement cleat page but apparently the old ones still come with the set of pedals. Speedplay is sending me new cantilevers in the mail.

I called the store back on Sunday afternoon when i realized what they had done. The person I spoke to just told me to come back and they'd fix it but it's a 1/2 hr drive so I haven't gone yet, I just read the instructions and fixed them myself. The more I thought about it, the more upset I got, realizing how I could have gotten hurt, plus I was on a group ride and I was getting very discouraged that I had so much trouble with the pedals, thinking I couldn't even use these which were supposed to be so easy, I had to be incompetent. What really pi$$ed me off was that their price was higher than the MSRP which I was willing to pay for good customer service, but I could have gotten them for $25 cheaper online and I would have read the instructions and installed them correctly to begin with. I called back on Monday when someone else was there and they are letting me return them since they have the old cantilevers. They were very apologetic but i definitely won't be going back there. Admittedly it was also my fault for not checking what the guy had done, I've learned a lesson there.