Old 05-09-07, 12:07 PM
Jolt

Bikes: Early or mid '90s Giant Nutra women's hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamtki
In terms of health benefits (or lack of), there's a huge difference between a segway and an electric bike. On a segway, you're not walking... you're standing there. An e-bike requires you to pedal or at least gives you the option to pedal. So people get exercise in an e-bike. And even more so since they normally would just hop in their car. An electric scooter is more analogous to a segway.
That's my big problem with the Segway. The technology is, admittedly, really cool and it can be fun to ride (while on the college EMS squad I took the Segway training that was offered), but do people in this country REALLY need another way to not get any exercise when out and about? I don't think so. I never even ended up using the Segway on any of my shifts, partially because I felt it would be faster for me just to walk/run if there were stairs or other obstacles involved when responding to a call (and this was usually the case), and partially because of the aforementioned philosophical problem with the whole concept.