View Single Post
Old 05-10-07, 08:56 AM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found ...especially if your going to do mostly your own work, it is best to get the little things you need (and you WILL NEED) from your LBS. I suggest asking for a few "crimp-ons" just to get you through this cable install, and while he/she hands them to you, you ask "how much I owe you?" in a gratuitous manner. Most shops will say no big deal or don't worry about it. You need to insist with out insulting that they were very helpful and you need to give them even a couple of bucks while assuring them "Trust me, You'll see me here pretty often buying upgrades or just asking questions...Please , take a couple of bucks". That little gesture goes immeasurably when down the road and you're in a pinch... ( like when you strip a BB's threads). Once you've established that kind of relationship with them, the stigma that LBS often has with "home mechanics" is a non-issue. Just don't abuse it. And... you'll find those guys really do want to help which benefits you, and you are giving them business and possibly referrals for them to stay in business. Synergy baby...WIN - WIN!!!