View Single Post
Old 05-11-07, 10:22 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
If he a gets steel or aluminum bike that costs 1,000 or less or a flatbar road bike,he'll have more money to but really strong 36 spoke wheel soon or to start with.We are talking about a 300 pounder.Traditional Drop bar road bikes,actually are not designed for that weight and really..the carbon fiber idea is very laughable. Hybrid bikes and wheels are a different matter but we're discussing road bikes. I weighed 368 and rode,a hybrid, -140 pounds later,I had the nerve to get back on a road bike AFTER I changed the rims and used 28mm tires. let's keepit real here next thing some one's apt to be having the man on a 753 Bob Jackson with silk tubulars 'cause it's cool. The image of a 300 pounder on a Sctt Addict scares me.
Gee...I hope I don't scare you...unless it's the sight of my massive thighs dropping you... Now my gut hanging out on the other hand...

Yeah...each rider is an individual. For some...carbon may work...others not. But don't just dismiss it out-of-hand. I've been incredibly happy with my machine since I got it. Very valid point about saving money on frameset and getting good quality wheels. Saying carbon fiber is laughable shows ignorance. I, and others like me, are proof positive that it is fine when done right. Some manufacturers do have weight limits. Their choice. My Kuota does not. End of discussion.

Bob Jackson 753?...very good choice. It could handle the OP no problem. Silk tubulars...OP's choice, but I don't use. Too expensive when fixing flats.

I went looking for
#1-strength/stiffness in the bottom bracket area as I can flex my old, beer-can sized Cannondale whenever I wish; and
#2-comfort for long rides. My carbon bike does both without a whimper. I am never sore from the bike. Legs from too many hills...yes, too many intervals...yes. Bike vibration discomfort...no.

For the record, I ride a Kuota Kharma, 2006. Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels (18/20 bladed spokes f/r), drop bar, Specialized Alias 143mm saddle, Look Keo Carbon/Ti pedals, Shimano Ultegra throughout, 53/39 chainrings, 11/23 cassette (12/25 for hills). I am happy as a clam, and comfortable to boot.