View Single Post
Old 05-13-07, 09:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
Question - what's a decent, average pace for a century? 12 mph over the span of say 10 hours with breaks? I can ride faster than that, but is that a realistic entry point for a century (or longer)?
This is a great question as I have been trying to pace myself not to start too fast and maintain a speed that won't leave me dead on the road side 75 miles in. I been training with an avg speed of 15 and can do 55 miles at that pace with no problems. Having not exceeded 55 in a while, I'm worried about that. I have mapped a route that is 33 miles starting right at my garage so I figure after 2 laps, I have the luxury to stop off at the house for food and replenishment of liquids. I don' want my century to take more than about 8 hrs with my stop time. Then after I do my 3 laps, I can do 2 laps in the hood as cool down and trip the mile mark to say 100.6, this of course assumes I can get back on the bike and lose the knee pain.