View Single Post
Old 05-13-07, 09:49 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
Question - what's a decent, average pace for a century? 12 mph over the span of say 10 hours with breaks? I can ride faster than that, but is that a realistic entry point for a century (or longer)?
Background
I did my first century in over 10 years yesterday. Due to wrong training for it, I wasn't sure I would last the distance. So I decided to stay "within" myself, especially as the first 50 miles had about 4,500 feet of climbing in it.

Staying "within" myself meant: keeping my heart rate out of my red zone, and my muscles away from the anaerobic threshold. This way, I had a reasonable chance of finishing as my body wouldn't manufacture more lactate than it could clear. I understood what my "red zone" was due to my previous riding/training. The red zone for me, BTW, is 162 beats per minute.

You
I didn't care how fast I went. I was only concerned with not over-extending myself and bonking, and having to SAG it back to the start. So, I would advise, don't worry about absolute numbers and pace. Worry about what's good for you.

Follow-Up
BTW, throughout the century, I only hit 162 twice. Average HR for the ride was only 122. Finished in 6 hours, 27 minutes...no problem. I am already looking to see when I can ride again and try to go sub-6 hours.

edit: This was the same century ronjon did.