Old 05-14-07, 05:16 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take it that you are advancing the argument that bike lanes persuade people who have been riding on sidewalks to ride on the roadway instead. Short-term benefit but long-term loss.
No, I don't have any data on that.

I think that slower speed roads should be bike lane free. And that fast roads with few intersections should have good bike lanes that negotiate the few intersections well. I don't think fast roads and frequent intersections should be mixed (as they are in San Diego). I'm undecided about bike lanes in this scenario. I use them, but leave them before main intersections, and check my rear view/act carefully at minor intersections (driveways).

For example, Bike Lanes did not get me off sidewalks (it was a class that our elementary school put on). However, with that knowledge in hand, Bike Lanes encouraged me to go on roads that I would not have gone on had there not been a Bike Lane (like Pacific Coast Highway in San Diego).

Currently, if I have to face 45 mph traffic on level or uphill road with no shoulder, bike lane, or bail out area for more then a short distance... I will try hard to find an alternate route.