Old 05-15-07, 11:46 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
If you actually find that modern roads are designed and safe for all uses except in 'some isolated situations' you are clearly delusional, and it's pointless to continue this conversation any further.
I can't speak for Portland, but I can't think of a single (non-freeway) road in all of San Diego County that is not reasonably safe for bicycling. Certainly, some are more "challenging" than others. On the vast majority even a bicyclist with only a modicum of traffic skills can be reasonably safe. On some roads with high speed diverges/converges, etc., more advanced skills are probably required.

As usual, you offer two extremes with no middle ground. This is the chief problem with both you and AJ.
There is middle ground. There are other possible definitions of "auto-centric". Gene offered none. I offered two. Given the two that I offered, I indicated what my position would be on the issue at question. Gene offers his position without defining "auto-centric". Mr. Forester has explained why this is meaningless, but Gene still does not offer a definition. Yet you chastise me for offering only "two extremes" (by the way, neither definition offered is an extreme).

You, Gene or anyone else can offer other definitions of "auto-centric", and I will be happy to let you know my position on the issue with respect to them.

Perhaps there is a way I could be even more reasonable, but I'm doing my best. Not sure what your issue is.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 05-15-07 at 12:00 PM.