View Single Post
Old 05-15-07, 08:44 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't know if you have the same problem I used to, but when I first started running again 3 years ago, my calves were the worst problem for me! I'd stretch a lot, but no matter how much I tried to care for them, they would tighten up severely at the beginning of every run. They wouldn't be too bad before I started to run, but after a 1/4 mile or so, I would reach down and feel them and they would be rock-solid, as if I was purposely flexing them although I was trying to relax them as much as I could.

This really hurt my running as I felt as if I was getting no push off on my strides. It was like I was just lifting my legs and dropping them one in front the other. Pretty miserable.

I'm now to the point that this hardly ever happens and I think these are what has helped me:

1. Wall presses stretch the calves but don't push too hard because if you do, the muscle tries to contract to limit damage.
2. I got a thumping massager with a heating element and that has seemed to help relax.
3. Good shoes. Sounds like you have a good shop so stick with their advice.
4. Time and miles. Build gradually and be patient. It takes time for the muscles to adapt. It took me over a year until I felt that my calf problems went away. And even now, they still occur every once in a while.

Good luck.