View Single Post
Old 05-16-07, 08:31 PM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Canadian side (I don't know about the American side) of Superior isn't terribly populated, so I'd certainly bring at least two full meals worth of food when over here. The road just East of Thunderbay (this part of the TransCanada is called the Courage Highway) is terrible and shoulderless for a good deal of the time. It eventually clears up around Nipigon I think but a guy I met and rode with for that part almost got smoked like 3 times due to logging trucks (including a big flyaway piece of wood) and bad road conditions. I didn't even take a picture of the bad road, I really wish I had, because I think my mind was so focused on not dying instead of taking pictures. They were doing construction when I passed through, but it would take a lot of construction to fix all the problems with the road.

Be aware that, between Wawa and Sault Ste. Marie, there is a park (Superior Provincial Park I think) where there is nothing but big hills and beautiful scenery for about 90km I think. I did that stretch without food because I thought I'd hit a place to stock up as I left Wawa. Big mistake. There is an information center in the middle of nowhere in there but they only have a drink vending machine.

I have a few pics of that area uploaded, starting here:
http://www.pbase.com/image/63540346