DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambler
How much would that all run me roughly? I know a Deore derailer is about 35 bucks, what about the other stuff though?
I'm going to assume you want reasonably priced yet reasonable quality stuff here so I'll pick DeoreLX as the component level in the Shimano lineup. You can probably knock about 10% off each price by dropping to straight Deore... maybe more if you shop around. Adjust by about 20% if going to DeoreXT and glop on about a 100% markup (if not more) if you want to go straight up to XTR. |8^)

Are your shifters integrated with your brake levers or on pods? A new set of LX shifters on pods will run you around US$45 a pair and includes cables and housing. If you need LX integrated brake/shifter combos then you're looking at around US$60 a pair which also includes all the cables and housing. A new chain is probably around US$15 for a Shimano HG-73 9sp. I personally would opt for a SRAM PC59 which should be comparable in price. A new cassette will run you around US$35. I'm not sure if you'll encounter any chainline issues. If so, you may also need a new BB with a different spindle length. I'm not sure what kind of crank you have though. A Shimano ES-51 splined BB is about US$20. ISIS BBs start around US$30 for the Race Face Evolve. Old square tapers can be found for around $15 for TruVative Square LE.