Old 04-13-04, 11:54 AM
blueline

Bikes: Trek 1500 (04)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
Question for you Blueline. When visiting or say living in another country and you display your home country flag plus the flag of the country you are living in, isn't it considered rude or in poor taste to display your home country flag over the host country?

For example, in my neck o' the woods here in Nova Scotia we have many Americans that have summer homes. SOME, not all, display the American flag over the Canadian. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Out of respect I mean.

Every time my wife sees this she gives a little grunt of.....disapproval.

Anyhow, here's MY Canada Jersey:
Once more into the breach...

Not quite. It is totally inappropriate to fly two national flags from the same halyard, one over the other, regardless of whether the flags are flying within one of the nation's borders or not. It is also disrepectful to fly a nation's ensign at night, or in the rain, unless lit, etc. Many people who make such faux pas probably do them out of ignorance, in a misguided attempt to show respect. So, yes, your wife is quite right to grunt her disapproval at this improper flag etiqutte. The ensigns should not, however, be reversed. Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling by Chapman is one source of information regarding Flag Etiquette, both on land and sea.

I don't have a problem with Americans in Canada flying the U.S. flag from their flagpole, and not flying the Canadian flag. Neither do I have a problem with Canadians in the U.S. flying the Canadian flag from their flagpole.

If you wish to fly two national flags, either you should use two flag poles of equal height, or a flag pole equipped with a yard, allowing the national flags to be flown from both the left and right halyards. A different flag (not a nation's ensign) may be flown from the center halyard, as under these conditions, the center halyard is not the position of honor. I suppose you could also fly one flag from a vertical flag pole and another from a gaff pole attached to the house.

Perhaps I beat the deceased horse a bit much?