Old 05-20-07, 11:15 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Panito123
It looks like Winwood now has tested the fork and approves of its use on tandems. Go to the link provided for details http://www.winwoodbike.com/muddydisc.html

Takem from the Winwwod bike website
Muddy Disc Cross

Designed and tested for tandem use with 6" disc rotor
Cantilever brake bosses, aluminum crown and steerer
ISO disc tabs and removable cantilever bosses
Fits up to 700 x 44mm knobby tires with fenders
Rake: 45mm
Total fork length (top of crown to center of axle) =398mm
Sizes available: 1-1/8" threadless (682g)
Steerer length: 300mm
MSRP= $315.00

I have a mountain Tandem that is fitted with Hope Mono M4 discs and 200 mm rotors. This brake system works. Although I may be tempted to go down to a 180mm rear disc- There is no way I would fit 6" discs on the thing. Even with one of the best Tandem Disc brake units around- I do not think that a 6" rotor will be able to stop our tandem at full chat- let alone a Road bike that will be able to travel a lot faster. And as to the quick release axle with disc brakes- I tried it for a couple of weeks when I converted to discs- and for peace of mind- if not for safety- I changed to a bolt through axle. The angles that fork was going through with the strain of the disc brakes had me worried that the QR would break or come loose, if the rotor did not pull the qr out of the forks.

Admitedly this is an offroad tandem that takes a lot of strain with the terrain but CF forks- 6" disc- and no bolt through axle would make me think seriously about my safety. Even on the road.

Spike Milligan