Old 04-15-04, 04:41 AM
kkarstad

Bikes: None, yet...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you think about the Dawes Super Galaxy or do you have any other suggestions?

Hi,

I am looking for two good touring bikes, for myself and my wife and my budget is £1000 ($1700) per bike. This lead me to the Dawes Super Galaxy which incidentily I have found for a stonking £600 in the form of last years model. Does any of you have any experienc with this bike (any year model)?
It is the first time I'm shopping for a touring bike, so I don't know a lot about the diferent tubings. The 2003 Super Galaxy has Reynolds 531 frame tubing and the 2004 model has an 853 frame. Is there a big difference in the two? One that will make a significant difference in riding experience?
I see Thorn is mentioned a bit on these pages. Why is it regarded so highly? Is it the frame or anything in particular that warants its popularity?
Are there any other good bikes I should be considering in this price range? I am not limited to order from a particular part of the world so any suggestions are apreciated.

My intention is to use the bike for fully loaded camping touring mainly on surfaced roads with quite a bit of climbing since I am plannign a longer tour in the Alps.

TIA for any feedback.

Ketil