mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Just a couple cents for what it's worth.....
Before you go through the hassle, go to Crazyguyonabike.com and read some of the touring journals. The documentary most people convey are thoughts and feelings of their experiences dotted with the occasional picture. For the most part, the "visual" aspect of bike touring as seen through a lens is pretty boring. Sure, there is the stunning sunrise, people you meet, wildlife, etc. but filming a bike tour may not generate the riveting results commensurate with the trouble, as compared to a picture with a well thought narrative.
I have done three tours, one with just a still camera and two with video. On the second trip my son, my son took over 11 hours of video that he is editing down to a documentary size work. I love to watch that footage. Much shot from his handlebars. I love his candid shots of interaction between those of us on the trip. It captures parts of the trip that still shots could never have exspressed. Like when we got the entire passenger group on the Wesport Ferry to participate in song and dance number we put together to greet one of the passengers spouse on the other end.

On the last trip we had my younger son. We just had cheap cameras, but we captured some priceless footage including my then 13 year olds squeeky voice. (amazing what a year does to voices). Still I'm glad we got the footage with sound. On our next trip we will get a better still digital camera that takes good quality video. It needs to be such quality that produces good footage but is cheap enough that you aren't afraid to leave it attached to your handlebars.