halocon
Halocon

Bikes: Orbea Onix (105)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I bought a used bike, recently, which was almost new, factory installed headset - integrated. It felt fine at first, but over a few weeks of riding it got progressively 'tighter', to the point where steering was affected.
Had to loosen the stem and pop the compression ring that slides down inside the top race area. Then 're-installed' it all again and set the headset downforce properly.
Even with the stem force set right, I think some headset designs allow the compression ring to snug down further.
Maybe try poppin the stem up a bit, loosening the upper race parts and then doing a 'readjust' on the headset. That should then allow those small steering/balance adjustments so neccessary for good smooth steering control.
If you have the nosepicker at the LBS do it, ask them to set it so headset adjustment is just a bit tighter than 'loose' where fork shake is eliminated as opposed to 'tight' and the rotation feels 'binding'.
sounds like a good idea. but i think im gonna go and see the doctor first...apparently after all these ppl mentioned about ear problems i do recall some discomfort and weird headaches lately. but if a check with the doc tells me everything checks out then im gonna head down to the lbs for the adjustment you're telling me. thx.