View Single Post
Old 05-22-07, 10:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbotron
My girlfriend is shopping for a touring bike. She's looking at getting a 42 cm surley with 26" wheels. We were talking about rims, and we realized that neither of us know much about 26" rims. I've found a list of ATB touring rims on Peter White's site, I thought I'd ask here for input. She's planning on doing loaded touring, weighs around 120 lbs and will generally be riding them on the road. We're thinking of getting a set built up with double butted spokes and XT hubs. Not sure about whether to go with 32 or 36 spokes.
For someone small, even with a load, the demands on a wheel are much less than for, say, a 200 lb man. 26" wheels are also inherently stronger than 700C wheels because of their decreased diameter. For touring, you could probably use a 32 spoke 26" wheel without issues for that 200lb man. However, 4 spokes don't weigh that much so if you can do them in 36, you'd have a little cushion of safety.

I'd probably go with an XT hub and an X517 rim and never worry about my wheels again. The wheels will probably outlast the bike
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!