Old 05-23-07, 04:31 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
My wife and I have been talking about renting a cabin near Helen, GA some time this summer for a weekend. Helen is pretty much right in the middle of the "6 Gap" area. Perhaps we could get a SE BF ride together then if we actually rent it. Nobody else in my family rides, but I have friend that would make the trip with us.

The other chance I might have is over Thanksgiving. Last year we went up to that neck of the woods for Thanksgiving and I brought my bike along and did the climb up NC 215 to the BRP. It was great, but I wished I had at least one gear lower than 39x25. It did help that the weekend had pretty mild temps and you can't always count on that. We liked it so much that we are talking about going up there again this Thanksgiving. A funny thing is that last year we ran into some friends from Gainesville, FL when we were driving into Maggie Valley. The husband is a very strong rider and was really bummed out when he saw that I brought my bike and he didn't bring his bike. The wife's parents, it turns out, now live in Waynesville and they go up there all the time. It's a small world.
It's not all that small.... but for sure half of Fla. is up here all year long.

Last one out close the gate to DisneyWorld.

Helen sounds great. Never have been down there even though it is only a bit over an hour away. I would love to ride Hogpen Gap sometime. How bad could it be? If you're doing all 6 gaps I suppose pretty bad but by itself?