Old 05-24-07, 10:54 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
You'll just have to look harder. They're out there. Tried eBay?
Btw, check a local store. My local Performance has a 113 Ultegra (V1) on the shelf and they don't even know it.
Cool, thanks. I admittedly haven't looked hard (checked Nashbar, Performance, and Harris), but I mainly wanted to see if these had ever been produced. It seems that V1 Octalink is produced in 109.5mm for doubles and 118.5mm for triples, so I wasn't sure that they were ever made in 113. Octalink V2 is made in 113, of course.

Originally Posted by vpiuva
The cranks may be OK, but everyone has abandoned the Octalink/ISIS concept because of shortened bearing life, and my guess is that fixie use would even be harder on BB bearings than standard use.
I've looked, but not too hard, for other Octalink lengths and didn't come across any. Square taper appears to be the single cog way.
From what I've heard, Shimano Octalink BB's didn't suffer the problematic bearing life. Some ISIS BB's did, but not all.

I agree that square-taper appears to be the single cog way (and I have it on all my bikes except for an FSA compact double with ISIS interface on my "fast" road bike) but it seems that this use of old Shimano cranks would be a good way to set up a fixie. If available.