genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Indeed, some stress can be good.

But I also think the stress associated with the processing required while riding "mentally integrated", as with any activity, lessens with practice and experience. Situations that used to stress me out on my commute when I first started doing it don't bother me at all anymore (and haven't for years).

I think bike lanes hinder the natural progression from stressful integration to low-stress integration by allowing the unitiated to travel in blissful ignorance riding in a "mentally segregated" state. It's like never removing the training wheels, or trying to learn to swim with a life jacket on.

By seeking to avoid stressful integration, whether it's riding in bike lanes on bike laned streets, or curb hugging and sidewalk cycling on unbikelaned streets, cyclists keep themselves from having the opportunity to make progress towards advanced and low-stress integration.
I am not going to disagree with you... there is some merit in what you are saying... but bear in mind that some folks never go into the water without life jackets... and that suits them just fine. Some motorists never go on freeways. Some folks will never be comfortable with a command line. Some cyclists ride three wheel bikes (sorry Diane... ) Some folks never go to college. Can't all these folks still be "accomodated?"