Old 05-25-07, 10:42 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whitehare
I am 6'4" 260lbs I found a good deal on a Jamis Coda Sport 21.5in with flat handelbar at my local bike shop. My last bike was a 97 Cannondale R500 61cm with drops(50lbs ago, have not ridden in about 8 yrs). My Question is, is the Jamis frame size to small? it comes as big as 23in but none in stock so no deal. TIA-whitehare-
It's really hard to determine how to match up measurements from one bike to another, there are no fewer then 8 different ways to come up with that measurement.

1) Top of BB shell to top of top tube.
2) Top of BB shell to centre of top tube.
3) Middle of BB shell to top of top tube.
4) Middle of BB shell to middle of top tube.
5) Top of BB shell to top of where top tube would be if horizontal.
6) Top of BB shell to centre of where top tube would be if horizontal.
7) Middle of BB shell to top of where top tube would be if horizontal.
8) Middle of BB shell to middle of where top tube would be if horizontal.

Now some models are expressed in centimetres(cm), and others in inches, but converting is easy, multiply inches by 2.54 to get cm. Work with cm, it's easier to do the conversion to a smaller unit then a larger one. Every manufacturer has a different idea of how long that top tube should be, for a given seat post length.

Your best option, is to get the shop to set the seat to the proper height for you, then go for a test ride, check for how you feel, if your upper body feels scrunched up, then don't buy the bike. A too short frame height wise, can be easily fixed with a longer saddle post. A frame too short length wise, can only be remedied with buying a different frame. If you plan on short rides, the flat bars are okay, if you plan on long road rides, then they get uncomfortable, really fast. See, flat bars put your hands in an unnatural position (with your wrists turned), other bar types like road bars, trekking bars and moustache bars allow your hands to be in a more normal position. Debating about putting trekking bars on my bike, if I can find a source here in Canada......