Old 05-27-07, 09:29 AM
santiago

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RLHawk
I was looking in the $800 - $1200 price range, but could push it to $1600 if I found something that seemed spectacular.

I am a little heavier, 5'11" and 190lbs. There are no Kona dealers in my area. (At least the Kona web sit does not have any listed). I have a cross bike. The trails I want to ride are just a little to much for it, and I don't want to trash my cross bike.
With $1200 you'll end up with a great hardtail. Don't even think about a full suspension with that budget. Looking at the Specialized line-up, the Stumpjumper is very nicely spec'ed for $1400.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...80&language=US

The Specialized Comp comes with Juicy 5 disk brakes at $1700. All prices are MSRP so factor in the discounts and you have some pretty nice bikes at your budget.

The top of the line Rockhopper comes in at $1100 and it also is nicely spec'ed but not as nice as the Stumpjumper. It would be a great bike.

I am not sold on the 29er and I don't think it really should be a first mountain bike. It is less 'flickable' than a 26" and I think if one were to start with a 29er, you'd pick up bad habits. I'm just thinking out loud here and pretty much talking out of my ass, but that's the feeling I have of a 29er. If I weighed more, I would probably add a 29er as a 2nd or 3rd bike to my fleet but not necessarily make it my main ride. For an opposing view got to the MTBR.com forums in the 29er forum. Those guys will tell you the 29er is the second coming.

So, I'm ready to answer your original question. I think going with a Rockhopper/Stumpjumper/equivalent would be a solid first bike. It will NOT be too much bike for what you want to do and as things wear out you can replace them with nice bits. The bikes already come with nice bits but with the budget you have, you can go a long way with the various hardtails.