Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie
Standard automotive paints like those from PPG are dangerous to work with. Be sure you read up before spraying. Safety gear, an air compressor and all the rest of the things you need will cost far more than paying a pro to shoot the paint for you.
True...but this forum is for/about framebuilding, as in DIY or ask a pro.

I use a 3M charcoal mask when painting - costs $35. Removes all the bad stuff with the exception of when spraying catalyzed clears, for which one should have a fresh air mask. When spraying the nasty stuff I do it out in the open air when possible and don't linger in the haze. OSHA allows use of this kind of paint w/o fresh air as long as the spraying is done is a down-draft paint booth. Of course this kind of paint booth is not generally available but I take this to mean that as long as you are not breathing the fumes directly, the risk is minimal. Mind you, we are talking about painting a few frames a year, not on a professional basis. At any rate that's what I do. In the grand scheme I've thrashed my body way worse riding my bike than breathing in a few fumes past my paint mask.