Old 05-28-07, 03:47 PM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Columbus Pegorichie, Pegoretti heat treated, Spirit Keirin?

From competitivecyclist.com's Pegoretti write up:

In fact, all of the Niobium tubing Pegoretti uses is one-off. He insists that Columbus take the extra step to heat treat the tubes for him. While the stock version of the tubes has very good elongation qualities and thereby provides a nice bit of shock damping, heat treating them gives them a considerable increase in responsiveness under a load. Think of it this way: While a spring is springy by nature, a heat treated spring rebounds from compression far more quickly. In other words, a heat treated Niobium Spirit frameset will provide superior elasticity, making a Pegoretti feel like it's gliding on a lousy road surface to an extent unmatched by other tubesets.

Is that steel the same as Columbus Pegorichie? I beleive I read that Pegorichie is Columbus Spirit manufactured specifically for lugged construction, which leads me to my next question: Is this tubeset also marked as Columbus Spirit Keirin? Given that most Japanes Keirin framesets are lugged, I wondered if they would want the same characteristics in a tubeset.

Is Pegorichie available to all framebuilders who use lugs, or only the two of its namesake? I would love a frame built of that heat treated Columbus, as I ride every day through the city, rain or shine. However the practicality of having a Lugino 'street fixed' is not looking good.

Last edited by sers; 05-28-07 at 03:56 PM.