-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Do you (or anyone else) think that it's best to get a new set of wheels, or is it completely fine to change the spoke in the helicomatics and just go from there. The shop I had the bike at said they trued the front wheel as best they could, and it's pretty straight but still not glowingly true (the shop refused to charge me because they couldn't get it perfect). The rear wheel is ridable but I really don't like the look of it when it spins because of how out of true it is.

!

Personally, If it was going to be a keeper, Id dump the rear wheel and get a whole
new set-up. But, only you can determine that. The spoke poppage on mine
happens only at the rear wheel because of the wacky dishing. When you get
it right, everything is good. But up until then its a test of patience. I bust three
spokes and could tell as soon as they went. I was able to do mine on the bike and
use the finger tensioner . Its OK now and its just a winter beater, so Im not
too worried about it, but if this was going to be a 'good' bike, I would probably go with
a whole different set up. That being said, my 'good' Peugeot, the 501 is fine. It works
great ! The only 'issue' I might have is that I cant keep the Helocomatic as quiet as I like
my geared bikes to be...when they get a little wear they make some noise, but no
big deal. If its a 27" wheel the spokes you will need will be 297's. You will have to pop
the gear cluster to put them on that side. Im making it sound likea bigger deal than
it really is, though Let us know your progress.
Im selling all of my bike stuff to accomodate a move into a very small house in another
state. After taking my good Pug out of Mothballs for the winter and riding it the past
week or so It is coming with me. I will make room somehow. Its a great bike !