View Single Post
Old 06-01-07, 11:37 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I'm not the CT, but I'll chime in anyway...

Originally Posted by zeytoun
...repeat your warning to avoid riding on the bike lane stripe (for potential legal liability issues in case of an accident)?
That is potentially one factor. But also due to ambiguity. With the presence of a BL a driver who glances and sees a cyclist ahead off to the right may just register them as in the BL, then switch their focus elsewhere. This may be fine if the cyclist is fully in the BL, but if on the stripe could lead to a very close pass or even a clip.

Originally Posted by zeytoun
Also, please be sure to leave the bike lane when FSDT is not present. Staying in the bike lane in this case forfeits your legal right to be treated as a vehicle...
While I think this practice has its benefits they are not driven with the goal of exercising legal rights, but instead visibilty and enabling two-way communication with FSDT when it does come. Also I believe that on intersectionless roads, using this technique is not a must do to be a vehicular cyclist.

Al

Last edited by noisebeam; 06-04-07 at 08:35 AM.