View Single Post
Old 04-24-04, 02:50 PM
zotma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Average Speed Improvement?

Question: how to improve one's average speed???
background:
got back to road cycling in december after several years break.
as the weather got better, I've been out more. searched out different rides (new area) though I've got one I like to do more often as a regular 'trainer' 22-25 miles depending on my exact route (other rides so far up to 45mi.). I usually ride solo and I typically average low to mid 18mphs (bit slower in excessive wind/weather/yaddaddayaddadda). trying to get in at least 100 miles a week though I just got over an illness that kept me off the bike for a week and a half (totally brutal!).

so here's the quizzical part; so for my first ride back out, I decided the 'usual' easy 22 miler...and I averaged 19mph. it was a great ride, but I've been sick, I thought I'd be way slower. I've been on the plateau of the mid 18's trying to break that for a few months now. so what gives? the weather was similar to the other rides so it wasn't like I had no wind or a tailwind both ways. anyone have a hypothosis? and how does one control the ascent of the average speed? (if this should be a fluke). I'd like to get faster.
so I'm all ears to any stories or tips about your average speed.
thanks in advance for your wisdom