Old 04-24-04, 09:42 PM
leadbutt
...and bless the trails

Bikes: 02' Jamis Dakar Sport (just built), 05' Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a good XC rig??? suggestions???

So I've decided it's time to look into a new rig...I've been tossing around all kinds of brands/ideas/setups and I'mfinding it to be overwhelming...

Here's the basics: I'm 6'3 and 215 lbs...I'd like to be down to 180-190 soon, but it's gonna take more work than is possible right now...I'm really not into the big drops/freeride/black diamond, so I figure 3.5-5 inches of travel will be fine...and most imortantly, I'd like to drop @ $2500-$3000, if the ride has the right components...I'm not above putting together a custom ride, but I just know buying a complete ride is usually more economical.

What I've been looking at: Trek Fuel 95, Specialized StumpJumpers, Titus Racer-X...basically good stout XC rigs...but I'm open to other brands...

Concerns: the fact that I am a heavy ole' fat ass...I wear parts out...I like to ride hard when I can and my bike takes a beating...My current rig has mostly new components, but it really didn't have great stuff when I started...Also it weighs a ton (30 lbs)...I'd like to drop to 27-26 lbs...

Why am I forsakin' the Schwinn: As much as I've denied it, single-pivot rear suspension IS archaic...sure, with the new SPV stuff, you can make it work, but if a four-link works without it????

Specific questions:

1) Do you all think a Trek carbon/OCLV bike will hold up under me???
2) What's an acceptable minimum weight for a FS to last under 215 lbs..???

Well, let me know what you think...