View Single Post
Old 04-25-04, 09:35 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldRoadie
GOOD NEWS! as one Clydesdale to another, all you need to do is ride. I am near your weight and ride 700x23 tires on "stock" 28 spoke rims, with no tire problems. Two pieces of advice is 1.) keep the air pressue high (atleast the max rating, and I would add another 10psi) tire get snakebite flats easily with a lot of weight on them. 2.) make sure the rims stay true (do a spin check every once in a while) with big weight on them out of round rims will start poping spokes. Have a great ride!

Don't think size of tyre is going to be a problem too much, as narrower the tyre, higher the pressure. I would suggest that if you have 26" wheels you don't go narrower that 2.1 on knobblies, or 1.5 for slicks, Inflate both to the max on the side wall +5 lbs, and you should not have a problem. Wheels are different. when they start going out of true, go to a good wheelbuilder and get him to retrue. Tell him the weight of the rider, and he may have to retension, or respoke, but it will be worth it. I would suggest better than that, is that you go to a wheel builder and get him to build new wheels,When the current ones are causing problems and not before. I have a clydesdale friend who use LX hubs, 36 spoke onto Mavic freeride rims, and these stay true for at least a year. The wheels are not that expensive either.(From a known good Builder)