View Single Post
Old 06-05-07, 04:46 PM
acroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vulpes
Then, I think you need to pull your head out of the sand and get a broader perspective. If it were that easy to get out of poverty, there wouldn't be any poor to begin with.
Sorry, but my personal experience disproves it.
We have a glut of jobs, not enough people to fill them. A job requires work, and no matter what, there's some folks who would rather be taken care of at a bare minimum level than go to that extreme.
I am sure there are exceptions to every rule. But they are exceptions, not the rule.
I commute through the small poor area of this town every day. my schedule is sporadic: sometimes i go home at 2pm, sometimes 10pm. No matter what, if the weather is nice, there are a lot of obviously able-bodied people lounging around, not looking for work.
My cleaning crew has a terrible time retaining people, apaprently for a lot of the $7/hr crowd, 15hrs a week is just too much. Some of these folks are 30ish, able, guys living with their parents, nothing better to do than watch tv.
Maybe I have been poisoned. But so far my personal experiences have re-enforced the notion that no matter how cynical I become, i can't keep up.
Don't get me wrong, I wish all these people well, I just resent that most plans attempting to help the poor require me to help pay for it....