View Single Post
Old 06-06-07, 08:39 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
Have to agree with accroy, before I retired 8-21-02. My buisness had jobs, with benefits paying $19-$22/hr loading cargo. Easy work, not heavy cargo, just show up, and lift some light weight stuff. We absolutely could not fill the jobs.
Do they have an depot north of DFW Texas? If I can bike commute that would make make it compare well to a $20-$23 job that I'd have to drive to
Sadly can't move myself see my wife has her dream job 1.4 miles from our house. Right now I'm ok but my company is going to more then double my commute in a few months and I may have to buy a @#$*()@# vehicle to drive it.
4 hours round trip to commute by bike, if I could physically do it, vrs 1.5 hours max by motorized highway capable transportations is 12.5 hours a week of free time. Even after 3 hours of exercise at a gym or riding my bike around my little town that gives me 9 hours. 9 hours is like a day off of work or over 11 weeks of vacation a year! If only I could sustain close to or over 20mph for over an hour on a loaded touring bike, right now I'm averaging 14.5

My wife bicycle commutes so moving closer to where my work is going, and all the work is, would put her probably back in a car and more then double our housing expenses. I've been looking for 3+ years for a job closer to home and no luck unless I want a 70%+ cut in pay or have special skills that I can't get without years of advanced degrees or training. Now if it were a 7%-30% cut I'd do it tommorow.