View Single Post
Old 06-06-07, 08:44 AM
PurpleK
Velocipedic Practitioner

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I think you're allowing your anti-suburb predjudice to color your feeling on this article.
Surely Misti Davidson can find a job for $7.25 an hour a whole lot less than 66 miles from her house.
Ester Guzman is only about 7-10 miles from downtown Trenton N.J. Surley there is a job there for $11/hour. These people are stupid for having a job paying so little, so far from home.

Believe it or not the answer to everyone's problems is not to move into a big city. I'm sure Ester Guzman could move to Camden, N.J. to be bike/walk close to a job, but like many big cities, she would likely get *****/robbed/murdered before realizing the benefits.
Could it be your anti-big city prejudice is coloring your feeling? I know lots of people that live in big cities that haven't been *****/robbed/murdered and a number of surbanites that have had their houses burgled. I would also venture that Ester Guzman is more likely to die in a suburban traffic crash than my big city friends are to be murdered. Then again, I don't know anyone in Camden, N.J.

However, I agree that the answer to everyone's problems is not simply to move to a big city. When I relocated for my new job, I researched where to live and found a wonderful small town with everything I need within biking distance. Before purchasing a home there I made sure there was good, dependable public transit to get me to my office about 25 miles away. My unlimited use bus pass costs a good deal less than what others say they are spending on gasoline, not to mention parking in the city. (Here is where I have to admit to taking perverted pleasure in hearing my neighbors complain about gas prices.)

But.....I am fully prepared to move to the city should we lose the public transportation. But based on the ridership, I figure that to be highly unlikely.