View Single Post
Old 06-06-07, 02:40 PM
___

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vulpes
I, for one find TimJ's posts insightful, informative and to the point. He seems to be far better informed and far more thoughtful and analytical than the vast majority. The only part he and I don't see eye to eye on is the federalist Libertarian slant. And that is only because my orientation is closer to Marxism than anything else. IMO, the systematic and institutional problems that TimJ so skilfully elucidates are a direct consequence of organizing society for production for profit. I don't think these problems CAN be fixed, because they are part and parcel of the system itself. The only way to fix these problems and many others, is to replace the current system of production for profit with a system based on democratically controlled production for use.
Although I wouldn't label myself a "marxist", I agree with this poster. TimJ may come off as curt, however his analysis of modern society is on point.

As for the original USAToday article, it's obvious (as someone pointed out earlier) that they were going for the most extreme examples possible -- I mean come on Tuscumbia, AL?! Population 7800, whose main claim to fame is the Helen Keller Museum? Yeah.

Anyway, what TimJ and I think Roody touched on are correct; it's no easy task to get up & make an instant life change when you have various issues that range from screwed up family history, lack of financial acumen to functional illiteracy (among a ton of others) to contend with. I'm not saying folks are all victims by any means, however I know from being around many individuals in this category that we can't always look at life through our own little perspective.

Oh yeah, to the guy talking about $19-$20 jobs no one wants, how about you post a link or something if it's a national company? I know quite a few people that would be up for it. A lot of you all are under the false impression that everyone knows that your job (or any other job you know of) is hiring and that people just don't want 'em.....or maybe the job just sucks.