Old 06-08-07, 09:18 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
al, i don't agree with your unrealistic desires regarding bike lane cessation for all intersections.

i've seen very effective treatments of minor interections with no bike lane cessation or short portions of unstriping. i think a more blanket treatment for bicyclist safety is education that turning traffic yield to bikes on road.

don't the 'universal rules of the road' prevent cars from creating a hazard for other traffic when turning?
Why is it unrealistic? It is far more realistic than any other guidelines I have ever seen.
What do you mean by effective? Howare you measuring that?

Yes, I've seen those implementations too and such limited cessasion (on the order of 10-30') provides no benefit, other than to allow by law motorists to cut the corner which they do anyway.

Just end the bike lane stripe 200' before all intersections. It's an easy guideline to follow and one that won't get screwed up vs. a complex one requiring study of intersection volumes, guidelines on varied lenght of cessastion with tables for road volume, egress volume, road speeds, and cessation length, then determining patterns of use, accounting for ever changing traffic volumes, accounting for new side streets being added, etc.

I support it not only because it easy to design and implement, but also most effective and supporting cyclist of all skill levels - as even cyclists how have the skill required to ride on roads with bike lanes have the skill to track a straight line if they desire for short 200' stretches.

Al