Old 04-30-04, 07:05 AM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle fit is such an individual thing that I suppose no recommendation I might give would be sure to work for *you*, but I'll give you my opinions anyway.

It may be the gel that is causing you your discomfort. It seems counterintuitive that a nice plush and cushy saddle would be uncomfortable, but oddly, most people find a firmer saddle to be more comfortable on a long ride.

Also tipping your saddle fore or aft changes the fit of the saddle. Some experimentation is usually required to find the right fit. If you are a guy and you dress to the left, orienting the saddle 5 degrees off center to the right might make the saddle more comfortable as well.

My LBS has a good policy on saddles: If I want to buy a saddle, I bring in my bike, the owner then hands me a multitool and tells me to ride a few minutes on each saddle until I find one that suits me. This policy is the result of many previous saddle returns. It works quite well for both the LBS and the customers.

If your LBS is not similarly enlightened, then I would suggest a cheapo BMX saddle. These are 100% synthetic, reasonably firm, and very inexpensive. If it doesn't work out, then you are not out much anyway.

Dan