View Single Post
Old 06-10-07, 01:15 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
A minute? Versus zero seconds for a standard bike computer? Perhaps I'm too impatient, but that's a long time to wait when the road is calling me.

Other downsides:

Cost (they typically cost 20-30 times what a decent bike computer costs).

Battery Life

Size (though some of the newer models like the Edge 305 are getting smaller).

I think the edge in terms of value still goes to the standard bike computers...but, this may change with the next generation of GPS satellites and receivers.

Well, actually, if you are impatient, then, tun on the GPS early in your prep routine. Surely you don't just think about taking a ride and then are instantly upon the bike. Turn the GPS on as one of your first steps in preparing for a ride, and it will be finished acquiring as you mount the bike.

That is a pretty minor inconvenience in my experience. The Etrex doesn't come close to what I have spent on my bikes, and seems able to run forever on a set of AA's. Certainly not as long as a computer - they seem to run for a year on a set of batteries, but, I bet I get 18-24 hours out of a set of AA's in my Etrex, and I run rechargeable AA's, so, cost really becomes a non-factor.

It's really fun to approach an intersection (especially at night) where you can't get a good look at the road sign. Look down at your Garmin, and there is the street, name and all.

Also, if you have ever really lost your way on a bike (I have), it would be great to have a GPS where you just select the point you need to get to, and then follow the directions without having to ask, or worse, ride five or so miles on each wrong turn - those miles ad up pretty quick on a bike.

Caruso