Old 06-10-07, 03:33 PM
uofiblue
ILL...INI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Commuter

Good afternoon from sunny and 60 degree Seattle, Washington. I just moved out here from Illinois for the summer for an internship with an accounting firm. Don't have a car at the present time so it will be a bike or bus to work for me during the summer.

I went out for a ride this morning to check out a route and have found one that's 7.9 miles. Now, being a clydesdale, I'm definitely not the fastest biker out there but it's only about 35-40 minutes each way. So probably not all that much longer than a commute by car during rush hour. For those of you familiar with Seattle, I'm living in the Ballard area on 56th street, so I go down to the Ballard bridge and across. Take Emerson to Gilman. Gilman turns into 20th and heads into what looks like an industrial area. At the end of that area is a bike path the you can hop on (I believe the Myrtle Edwards?) and it takes you down along the sound all the way to downtown and spits you out on Alaskan Way.

I still need to get a good pair of fenders for my bike as I can't imagine biking in Seattle without them would be too great in the rainy months.

If anyone has any words of wisdom for me, especially if you are in the seattle area, let me know. Looking forward to joining the many who have gone before in commuting by bike. Have a great day!!