Old 06-11-07, 08:12 AM
JR97
Golden Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
If you are riding a lot of trails, then the suspension will probably be blown out within the first week.
East Hill
And you know that from experience? I've had 2 dept. store full suspension mountain bikes, and the suspensions are still going strong on both after 2 years. I have friends with similar bikes and still going strong. Granted, I don't drop cliffs or anything, but I don't baby my bikes either. One is a $69 Next all steel jobber from Wally and the other is a $259 Schwinn from Target.

Having said that, unless he knows he's going to be riding trails, I"d avoid the rear suspensions or get something used. Mainly because they will rob him of cycling energy. I've also found that the lower the price on the bike, the cushier (is that a word?) the front suspension which means lots of wasted energy. And there's usually no way to lock out the front suspension and the rear spring thing can only be tightened down so tight. Granted, lockout front forks will cost more than most of the pricier dept. store mountain bikes.

I commute 34 miles rt on a full suspension mountain bike, and the weight and fatty tires are getting old. However, my route has some pretty nasty roads for long stretches so the suspension does come in handy, but at a weight and efficiency cost. I do like the lower gears for my hill climbs, though.

If he spends at least $150, he's probably at least getting shimano badged components. That's sort of my price bench mark when looking for bikes for my kids.

What kind of price range is he looking at?