Old 06-12-07, 09:11 AM
Volfy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started riding Force brifters/FD/RD with Campy Record crank, DA chain, and Ultegra cassette - how's that for a mongrel set?

You'd think if anybody is gonna have Force FD problems, it'd be me. Not so. The FD took a while longer to set up than the rear, but once I got the following dialed in, it shifts as good as any setup I've recently ridden.

1. FD height or gap to big chainring teeth - spec per Sram Instructions (min gap 1mm, IIRC).
2. FD alignment - parallel to chainring teeth.
3. Min and max limits.

The Record crank does have a slightly different gap between the chainrings, but since it's a double, the FD min-max travel adjustment took care of that easily. I wouldn't mix brands if I am doing a tripple.

My Force brifter does have a trim function (it's not in the FD itself). It doesn't work as well as, say, the Shimano version. The first click off the small ring is the trim, which moves the FD a bit too much before settling back to the appropriate location. The "overshoot" rubs on the chain a bit, but it's not a big deal. Works fine to me.

The double tap action does take a bit of getting used to, but I far prefer it to both Shimano and Campy. The feel of the brifter grips is closest to the old school brake only levers I was used to.

Next, I am going to put Sram Force on my vintage Pinarello. Italian bloodline be damned. Well, at least it too will have a Record crank.

Last edited by Volfy; 06-12-07 at 09:49 AM.