Old 06-12-07, 08:59 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JumboRider
Every bike I have ever had was Shimano based. Can someone tell me what the deal is with Campagnolo? Are these parts higher end than Shimano parts? This is only a point of interest. I am not going out and purchasing.
Campagnolo was founded by Tullio Campagnolo (1901-1983) an Italian bicycle racer, in the 1920s Mr. Campagnolo invented the quick release skewer and the derailleur, founding his company in Vicenza Italy, in 1933. Campagnolo is often endearingly refered to as Campy, which you often see in forums, mailing lists and news groups . Some people swear by Campy, and some people swear at Campy, they have some nice products.

Shimano is a large Japanese headquartered manufacturer, like many Asian companies, they have various subsidiaries operating all over Asia, under the same corporate name and brands. Bicycle components are their biggest product line, and fishing tackle is next, with a variety of other stuff thrown in.

There used to be several European bicycle component builders, in the 1970's when the bike boom occurred, the bike manufacturers switched to Japanese made components, which were a lot cheaper. Campy seemed to have retained a cult following, and survived when many others did not. I think Rohloff and SRAM, both in Germany are the only other European manufacturers still in business today.

There is a debate about whether Campy products and Clydedom can mix, some people say that riders over 175lbs need not bother obtaining a Campy catalogue. Not sure though if this applies to all products, or just certain lines, where weight is an important factor.