Old 06-13-07, 11:53 AM
Mellow Johnny
Powered by Magic Hat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EX1855
I just bought a Specialized Allez, I havent ridden it yet, my boss had to pick it up when he was out of town and hasnt came back yet, its my first road bike, I guess technically I'm a clydes but im more of just a musclebound meat head trying to go a different route for fitness, I'm about 205 lbs, after reading somethings you guys say about clydes, am I gonna break something on my bike or should i try and drop weight before riding it?

I think you are fine on just about anything at your weight. The bikes and wheel sets that are problems for clydes will generally have a weight limit published. Think of the liability. If a bike shop sold a bike, wheel set, or component to a fat guy as a "fitness" product and it failed because of stress due to rider weight that "fat guy" would own the bike shop and the bike company by the time the sharks got done.

I ride a C-Dale six 13 at about 17lbs. and it is rock solid. Mavic Kysirium Sls, still true after about 2K miles. My weight fluctuates from about 260 out of competition all the way down to 205-210 in competition shape (body builder) and I have never felt like my bike was an issue at any weght.