View Single Post
Old 06-13-07, 02:41 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by djSlvt
I'm still looking for front der solution, I want same specs for front as XT only top pull. Tiagra I have totally bad. That's what caused me to break chain in the first place, because it wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd front.
If you have a Tiagra (road) front derailleur how can you replace it with a top pull? Almost all road frames and fd's I know about require bottom pull shift cable routing.

If you are using STI shifters, you have to stay with a road front derailleur as MTB fd's have different geometry and don't shift well with STI brifters. That said, I have trouble believing the Tiagra fd was the cause of your chain breakage and that an MTB fd would do any better.

Sheldon is correct that "touring" and "MTB" rear derailleurs are pretty much the same animal except for marketing but the new name was really out of necessity. In the 1980's the touring market completely tanked and the MTB was just catching on and was destined to really be "the next big thing". Continuing to call wide range rear derailleurs "Touring" derailleurs was not going to work.

Also, as the MTB caught on, rear derailleurs were modified to meet their specific needs for ruggedness and dirt resistance. By now it's much more accurate to say that Touring bikes can use MTB rear derailleurs rather than the other way around.