Old 06-14-07, 09:29 AM
etham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also trying to find the ULTIMATE single speed and at first I thought this thread would be the answer to my prayers, but after reading the whole thing I am more confused than ever!

I am planning to build up a bike from scratch. I am not going to by a complete then fix it up as I don't have interest in offloading the old parts. Plus, I like to build and customize things. I built my car from scratch. I build my rooms from scratch. You get the idea.

As far as I can tell, people generally think the Bare Knuckle by EAI is the best thing around that isn't high end, but at $589 it's still on the steep side for me.

I was going to grab an IRO Mark V from around the corner for $250, but I hear they are heavy and I have a 5 flight stair hike on both ends of my commute.

The IRO Angus sounds good, too, but I am afraid of not having a rear break. This is my first bike since I was a teenager and bones don't heal like they once did. Plus the fork looks straight and I don't want to lock up on my toes.

The Raleigh Rush Hour sounds good, and I like the fact that the decals are on the varnish rather than under it, but I hate that gray paint!

NYC Bikes I have heard bad things about so I won't patronize them.

Fuji, Mercier, Bianchi, and Windsor I am less than interested in, either because everyone in Brooklyn has one, i find them aesthetically unappealing, or some other personality quirk of mine.

In other words, HELP!

Thanks in advance.