Old 05-05-04, 06:06 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahhh, I see. 'owie' as in 'ouchie' as in 'that farken hurt'.

Right.

My best crash was actually just scooting around town, on the way to meet up with some friends to tell them all about this great race I did on the weekend. I was 17 i think, just did my first MTB race back in 1988, which I DNF'd because there was this nice rock hidden just under the surface of this river crossing ( yeah, a river crossing. This was back when MTB races were half interesting ).
Anyway, I digress. I was riding along, and there was this part where you had to scoot onto the footpath, and turn this sharp corner, before you hit another section of road. Anyway, there was these small log kinda barriers on this corner. It was a corner I had turned a thousand times before. However, this time I must've been daydreaming and I clipped a pedal on one of these things on the downstroke and BAM! I was on my head.

Literally.

It felt like a minor crash, but I thought I better pop into the toilets near where my Mum worked so I could just wash my scraped up hands and check for other damage. When I looked in the mirror, I almost fainted. I had road rash on my forehead, on my nose, chin, my......****ing upper lip, shoulder, knees.

It was insane. I ended up bed ridden for two weeks, and got super depressed coz I was convinced I was going to be scarred for life.

Which I wasn't, of course. I have a little scar on my upper lip that's kinda cool, but you don't think that when you're 17. You think "That's it, I'll have to become a hermit, ride only in the cover or darkness, and date blind chicks."

No pictures of that crash, thankfully. i think.

Last edited by Thylacine; 05-05-04 at 06:14 PM.