Old 06-15-07, 09:13 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by neilster1
Advice on Jamis? Don't do it. They've got a bad rep for broken frames. Go to a real LBS and test a few rides before you buy.. at $1000 you can buy nearly any hardtail you want.
They had an issue with their factory in the 2004-2005 time frame. Chainstay welds did not hold on a good number of the XLT's and Jamis is making good on the warranty. I went through it and got mine replaced. I've broken frames from other manufacturers just as well. Heck, since I broke my Gary fisher HooKooEKoo frame, should I tell someone "Don't do it. They've got a bad rep for broken frames"? No. There is nothing wrong with Jamis frames. The Dakar is especially nice. The Dakota line is great as well.

Don't let a few "bad apples" steer you away from such a good bike. If you did that, you'd have to stay away from every manufacturer, hehe.

I do somewhat agree with these posters that you're going a little overboard for gravel paths, but I say if you have the $$$ then go for it. You will eventually get hungry for more of an "off road" experience. If you buy a Hybrid then you'll just have to sell it later to buy a real MTB that will handle some trail.