View Single Post
Old 06-16-07, 01:02 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Do you like the Mets or Yankees??? That is the level of the discussion. Almost all bicycle gruppos are the highest art of the machinist and engineer. All are good. All have pluses and minuses. Most discussions are centered around marketing hype.
The weight issue (I am 205 but have ridden for years at 235lbs): I have never heard on weight being an issue on a broken campy part. I bought my first bike in 1955 (Allegro Special Campy/stronglight/Weimann) and for all of my years (and miles) of riding Campy equipment I have never broken any components. When things get loose you can buy a spring, bushing, idler wheel, indexer, new chain rings, cassettes, or ball bearings for the campy gear. I have converted 8 to 9spd and 9 to 10spd without any problems. I have heard that you are more limited with Shimano in your options. I have ridden the new Dura Ace 10 spd components on a friend's bike. The ergonomics of the campy are a better fit for me. Other than that the Shimano group was alright...I wouldn't switch. I have a set of record hubs with over 25K miles that are still going strong. This and the topic of "Triple or not to triple" seem to garner the most Bloviating of any issue.
I prefer Campy because...probably it is because all my tools are Campy.